Each month, the full moon gives us the opportunity to connect more deeply with ourselves, celebrate our progress, and let go of things that no longer serve us. Creating a full moon ritual can help you consciously make the most of the full moon each month.
Full moon rituals stem from spiritual beliefs, but they benefit everyone regardless of spiritual beliefs. It’s the perfect opportunity to create a monthly habit that allows you to get more in touch with yourself and practice self care. If you find the word ritual intimidating, just think of it as a routine instead. If you have a morning routine, skin care routine, night time routine, etc., you may consider these things rituals as well.
In this post, I’ll cover some of my favorite full moon activities so you can create your very own full moon ritual.
What is The Significance of A Full Moon?
In astrology, the full moon is considered to be a powerful time in the lunar cycle. It is said that the power of the full moon amplifies everything, both positive and negative. During the full moon, the moon is as illuminated as it can be. This illumination gives us clarity In our own lives, making if the perfect time to reflect, gain clarity, and let go of things that no longer serve us.
The amplification of energies caused by the full moon can allow us to gain more depth into ourselves and our spiritual practices. That said, it can also cause emotional fluctuations.
What is a Full Moon Ritual?
A full moon ritual is an activity or series of activities you follow each month on the full moon to harness the positive outcomes of the full moon’s effects. You can do this in a variety of ways, it’s just important to find what works for you. While your routine can vary, there are some themes you can focus on for your full moon ritual activities.
- Release: Are you holding on to things that no longer serve you? Grudges, goals, emotions… During the full moon, we have the clarity to understand what we should let of.
- Reflect: The full moon is a great time to reflect and express gratitude for how far you have come
- Celebrate: Because the full moon amplifies both the good and the bad, it can be helpful to carve out some time for celebration of the good.
- Manifest: For both the things that we choose to let go of, and the things we choose to express gratitude for, we can also use the full moon as a time to manifest what is right for us.
How Do I Have A Full Moon Ritual?
Full moon ritual might look different for everyone. It’s all about trying different activities and finding what resonates with you. What’s most important is that you keep themes of reflection, releasing, and celebration in mind. I’ve compiled a list of my favorite full moon activities to help you get started.
Feel empowered to create your own ritual using things from this list or your own ideas. If you have any full moon ritual activities that are not on this list, I’d Love to hear them!
Full Moon Ritual Bath
There’s nothing more relaxing than a nice, hot bath. When it comes to a full moon ritual bath, we’re not just talking any plain old bath. The moon and water are deeply connected, making a bath the perfect activity to let go and relax during the full moon. Here’s a few ideas to set the right mood for your full moon ritual bath:
- Add essential oils to your bath: Did you know you can drop essential oils directly into your bath to get the benefits of aromatherapy? You can use whatever oils you prefer, or check out our post on essential oils that are proven to help you relax.
- Bring your journal: If you’re able to, journaling during your bath can be helpful for emotional release. If you’re not, consider how you can be conscious of your emotions during your bath and use it as a time of reflection.
- Play some music: Music can help set the tone of relaxation for your bath. Play whatever calms you down, or check out this Full Moon Playlist ?? on Spotify.
- Dim the lights: Light some candles and dim the lights to make your bath extra special. One thing you can do is designate a specific candle for the full moon, to make it a special part of your ritual.
- Add epsom salts & dried flowers: Epsom salt is a popular element of bath rituals. What you may not know is that its benefits are well documented, including skin smoothing, stress reduction, and pain relief. You can also add dried flowers for additional skin and stress relief benefits. Not to mention, make your bath super pretty!
Full Moon Manifestation Journaling Exercise
Journaling can help us get in touch with our emotions during the full moon. It’s also a way to put our emotions are paper and be intentional about what we manifest in our lives. To get started, consider the following journal prompts for the full moon. These each focus on themes of letting go, celebration, and manifestation.
- What beliefs can I let go of?
- What emotions can I let go of?
- What fears can I let go of?
- Is there something that’s been consistently bothering me this month?
- Who, if anyone, can I forgive?
- What goals, if any, are no longer in alignment with my path?
After you’ve written down all of these things you can let go of, visualize yourself physically releasing these things watching them fade into the distance. In doing so, you manifest the process of letting these things go.
- What is something I am proud of myself for this month?
- What am I grateful for?
- What have I manifested so far this month?
- What else can I celebrate?
After you’ve made your celebration list, take the time to thing about how these things made you feel. The full moon is not just about letting go, but also gaining clarity on the positives so we can manifest more of this positive energy.
Now that you’ve reflected on what you’re celebrating and letting go, take the time to write down full moon affirmations in your journal. Writing down affirmations is one way to practice manifestation. You can repeat the same ones each month, or switch it up when they no longer serve you. Here are some ideas:
- I am proud of myself and how far I’ve come
- I release what no longer serves me
- I am not afraid to let go
- I easily release my fears
- I allow myself to experience joy & abundance
- I am in alignment with my purpose.
Guided Full Moon Meditation
Meditation has so many benefits for your health and mental clarity. When it comes to the full moon, there are tons of amazing guided full moon meditations available for free on YouTube. Many of these guided meditations focus on positive affirmations to inspire confidence & calm. Even if you’re not used to meditation, going through a guided mediation can be an extremely calming experience. This guided meditation for the Leo full moon is one of my favorites.
Experience the Moon Light
If it’s safe for you to do so, take a moonlit walk during the full moon. This is a very physical reminder of the power and illumination of the full moon and can set the right energy for the rest of your ritual. If you’re unable to do so, consider letting in the moon light from a window.
One unexpected element to include in your full moon ritual is celebration. Full moon rituals can often be a difficult process of letting go. It’s important to remember it’s also a time of celebration. This can look different for everyone. Maybe it’s singing, dancing, or even cuddling up and watching a favorite movie. Whatever suits you, closing your full moon ritual with celebration can serve as a joyful reminder of the work you put in to reflecting and letting go. That is, after all, something to celebrate!
I hope you’ve found these full moon ritual ideas helpful, and whatever you choose to do, I wish you a reflective and celebratory full moon! ?