Did you know that you should practice self care daily? No, you don’t need to go out and get a massage every single day… But you should find ways to care for both your mental and physical health on a daily basis. And we all know that some days, you need it more than others.
Self care is for everyone, and it’s not just manicures and warm baths (although, these make great self care ideas). Find a way to pamper yourself that works for you personally. Your mental health will thank you!
I hope this list of 75 self care ideas inspires you to get started practicing self care today!
- Quick Self Care Ideas
- Physical Self Care Ideas
- Mental Self Care Ideas
- Emotional Self Care Ideas
- Easy Self Care Ideas
- Beauty Self Care Ideas
- Free Self Care Ideas
- Self Care Ideas for Stress
- Unique Self Care Ideas
- Sensory Self Care Ideas
- Spiritual Self Care
- Self Care Ideas for Professionals
- Self Care Ideas for Moms
Quick Self Care Ideas
- Have a glass of water. Yes, pause whatever you’re doing and go drink a glass of water. The simplest act of self care that we all somehow manage to forget.
- Change your phone wallpaper to a motivational quote. Give your phone a self care makeover by changing your wallpaper to a quote you love.
- Have a warm beverage, like tea or cocoa. Drink it out of a mug that you love to feel extra cozy.
- Watch cute animals on YouTube. This is the self care idea for you if you just need an instant hit of dopamine! (and adorableness!)
- Write down 3 things you like about yourself. Just a quick reminder to love yourself, even in tough times.
Physical Self Care Ideas
- Do yoga. Try Yin or Restorative yoga for a super relaxing flow.
- Have a Dance Party. Turn on your favorite music, let loose, and have a dance party all by yourself.
- Take a long walk. Rain or shine, a long, distraction-free walk has to be one of the best forms of self-care.
- Stretch. Find a 10 minute stretch and give your muscles the love they deserve.
- Make yourself a healthy meal. Break out of your regular routine and try making yourself a new, healthy, recipe. Nourishing your body is one of the simplest forms of self care.
- Play with a dog/cat. If you’re lucky enough to have a furry friend, you know how comforting it can be!
- Get dressed in the morning. On your days off, or working from home, make it a point to actually get dressed in the morning.
- Get a massage. If it’s really time to treat yourself, or you’ve been extra tense, consider scheduling a massage.
Mental Self Care Ideas
- Draw, doodle, or paint. You don’t have to be a creative genius to enjoy some creative self-care.
- Do an art or craft tutorial on YouTube. There are so many beginner friendly tutorials you can follow. These watercolor floral cards are some of my favorites.
- Organize a room or an area of a room. Spending a bit of time organzing is a simple thing you can do to create a small sense of accomplishment.
- Take an online class. Learning can absolutely be a form of self care. What’s something you’ve always wanted to learn more about? Find a class on YouTube or skillshare.
- Listen to a podcast. Instead of scrolling through your phone, listen to a podcast on something you actually find interesting.
- Do a crossword puzzle or sudoku. These games can actually be so fun, and a nice break from the day
Emotional Self Care Ideas
- Reminisce on old photos/videos. This is one of my favorite self care ideas. Go back through your camera roll on your phone or even old home videos and let the nostalgia kick in.
- Make a list of gratitude items. Practicing gratitude has both immediate and lasting effects for your mood, making it the perfect self-care activity.
- Call a friend. Rather than texting, actually call a friend and catch up for a bit.
- Say some positive affirmations. Positive affirmations can help transform your thoughts and feel more positive.
- Spend some time journaling. Take out your journal and dedicate at least 10 minutes to journaling, You can free-write, doodle, bullet journal, or whatever feels most supportive to you.
- Sing your favorite song. Find a karaoke version of your favorite song, and just belt it out!
Easy Self Care Ideas
- Take a nap. Sometimes, the best thing you can do for yourself is just to get some rest. Taking a nap is a perfectly acceptable form of self care. Don’t let anyone nap-shame you to feel differently!
- Watch a movie or show you love. Treat yourself to one of your favorites, guilt-free.
- Heat up your favorite blanket in the dryer and cozy up. There is nothing like a warm, cozy blanket.
- Turn on a fireplace winter scenery video. A fireplace video like this will immediately make your space feel 10x cozier.
- Go on a drive. Anyone else find driving around super relaxing?
- Hug someone. Did you know hugs are actually proven to be good for you? Give someone you love a hug.
- Make your bed. I know this doesn’t always feel easy, but it’s one of the simplest things you can do to set a positive tone for the day.
Beauty Self Care Ideas
- Do a full skincare routine. Play some music and treat yourself to a long and luxurious skincare routine. Don’t forget the gua-sha!
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure. Something about a fresh set of nails just feels so refreshing.
- Do a hair or makeup tutorial on YouTube. Take yourself back to 2007 and follow a hair or makeup tutorial on YouTube, even if you have nowhere to go.
- Take a long shower. Today, don’t hurry through your shower. Take a looooong shower— exfoliate, shave your legs, sing, …whatever!
- Do a face mask. If you don’t have a face mask laying around, try making a DIY face mask.
Free Self Care Ideas
- Turn off your notifications for the day. You don’t need to be tied to your phone all day. Trust me, your family and friends will be okay if you don’t get back to them for a single day.
- Find a new book at the library. Roaming the aisles of a bookstore or library to find that perfect book can be just as relaxing as reading the book itself.
- Spend 10 minutes doing nothing. Completely nothing— no phone, no books, no talking. Just sit and observe.
- Go to a park. Walk around, sit on a bench, observe nature. This is a great way to get out of the house.
- Write someone a hand written note. Spend some time writing someone you care about a handwritten letter. Give it to them next time you see them or mail it.
- Volunteer. Find a cause you care about and spend some time volunteering.
Self Care Ideas for Stress
- Do a breathing exercise. Did you know that deep breathing has proven benefits for stress and anxiety? Try a guided breathing exercise as a form of self care.
- Have a “no-phone” Day. This self-care idea can be a bit of a challenge, but you’ll be surprised how calming it can be to stay off your phone for a whole day.
- Make yourself a fancy drink. Cocktail, mocktail, whatever makes you happy!
- Write positive messages on sticky notes and place them around your house or apartment. Take the time to make your space supportive to you.
- Identify 1 thing on your to do list you can push back till tomorrow— guilt free. Seriously, the world won’t end if it waits another day.
Unique Self Care Ideas
- Take photos of the things near you. Become an armchair photographer and see the beauty in the things around you!
- Listen to binaural beats. Binaural beats are a special form of sound waves that can help you relax, be creative, and even have anti-aging effects.
- Eat a meal while doing nothing else. How often do you use your phone or computer while you eat? For your next meal, put the technology away and simply enjoy your meal.
- Say no to plans and stay in for the night. Saying no is an overlooked form of self care. Instead of feeling obligated to plans, Treat yourself to a night in.
- Pick out a cute outfit for no reason. Fashion can be a form of creative expression, and can make you feel super confident. Spend time picking an outfit you love.
Sensory Self Care Ideas
- Play with play-doh or moon sand. This is not just for kids! Getting your senses involved can be super relaxing, and fun.
- Pick or buy yourself flowers. Recieving fresh flowers can make you feel so loved. Who says they can’t be from yourself?
- Make yourself a dessert & enjoy it. Making dessert does not always have to be for other people! You deserve a sweet treat every now and then, too.
- Take a warm bath. Grab a bath bomb, a candle, and some music to make a super soothing bath.
- Read a magazine. Sure, most of the stuff in magazines can now be found on this internet, but there’s something about the experience of reading a physical magazine.
- Diffuse essential oils. Essential oils can help you relax, focus, and more, depending on the oils you choose. Take the time to diffuse oils you love to add a sense of calm to whatever you’re doing.
- Burn Incense. Incense can purify your space and make you feel more calm and focused.
Spiritual Self Care
- Say a prayer. To whoever you pray to— God, Allah, The Universe. Take the time to express gratitude and ask for what you need.
- Mindfully observe something in nature. Sometimes, simply observing can help us feel more connected to the world around us.
- Create a vision board. A vision board can help you define your goals and give your life meaning
- Attend a religious service. This can be self care— even if it’s not something you normally do.
- Try a guided meditation. Even if you’re a beginner to meditation, a. guided meditation will tell you exactly what to do and leave you feeling super relaxed and connected.
Self Care Ideas for Professionals
- Have a “no-meeting” day. Block your calendar for a full day of no meetings. (You may want to check with your boss first, depending on your job).
- Take a mental health day. Reminder that sick days can be used to care for your mental health, too.
- Start planning your next vacation. Give yourself something to look forward to.
- Take yourself out for lunch. Skip the packed lunch for a day and treat yourself to that trendy lunch spot you’ve been wanting to try.
- Ask someone for help with a task. If your work load is too much to handle, practice self care by simply getting some help.
Self Care Ideas for Moms
- Hug your kid. A self care idea that will make your kiddo feel super loved, too.
- Treat yourself at the grocery store to something just for you. Your favorite snack, a candle, whatever. Pick something just for you to enjoy.
- Schedule alone time. If alone time is hard to come by, make it a point to schedule it in as a self care practice.
- Write down your wins for the day. A win is a win, no matter how small.
- Remind yourself you are doing a great job with affirmations. Check out these affirmations for moms for some ideas!