The key to always looking put together is to not need to reinvent the wheel every time you leave the house. Let’s face it, you don’t always have time to put together the perfect outfit, hair, and makeup. It’s days like these, when you’re rushing out the door, that you’re not as put together as usual. However, there’s a few things you can do to avoid being in that situation in the future that will help you always look put together. Here are my 11 fashion tips on how to always look put together:
1. Have a 5-Minute Beauty Routine
Have a quick makeup routine you can rely on, so you don’t walk out the door with a different face every day. I used to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and decide what makeup I had time for. Some days, I would leave the house with just mascara. Other days, I would just do lipstick and brows. It was kind of all over the place. Now, I rely on a quick routine I feel confident in. So when I look in the mirror half way through the day, I know what to expect. Spend some time perfecting your routine, but here’s a few ideas:
- Moisturize: Whether it be a normal moisturizer or tinted moisturizer, It’s a good idea to apply every morning to make sure your skin glows throughout the day.
- Lipstick: lipstick can instantly add some color to your face and make you look put together. Get yourself a good YLBB (your lip but better) color and never leave the house without it.
- Brows: Keep your brows groomed, and have a trusty pencil or powder so they are never out of place. Nice brows go a long way.
- Mascara: I swear there will never be a better mascara than the original covergirl LashBlast. Find a mascara that works for you. One that doesn’t flake, run, or wear down your lashes and stick with it!
Shop My Favorites
2. Wear a Bra that Fits Perfectly
An improperly fitting bra can ruin even the the most flattering top. If you feel like a top isn’t hugging you like it should, it might be your bra. In fact, 85% of women wear the wrong bra size. This is a shame, because wearing the wrong bra can not only do a disservice to your figure, but it can be super uncomfortable! Spend the time to get professionally fitted for a bra and find one (or a few) you really like. With the right bra, you shouldn’t have any weird lumps and bombs showing through your clothes.
Shop My Favorites
3. Prioritize your Nails
You’d be surprised how much people notice others’ hands. Not only that, but fresh nails just make you feel so much more put together. I’m a fan of doing my nails myself for a couple reasons. One, it saves a ton of money. And two— when my nails start to chip, I can just redo them myself instead of waiting for an appointment!
This doesn’t have to take a ton of time, either. Even just a clear top coat and trimmed, healthy nails will go a long way. I recommend keeping a cuticle oil nearby and applying once a day for strong, natural nails.
Shop My Favorites
4. Have 3 to 5 Staple Jewelry Pieces
I always underestimate just how long it takes to pair jewelry pieces together with an outfit. That’s why its so helpful to have a few staple jewelry pieces that you know go together and can wear with most of your outfits. For example, a couple necklaces to layer, a bracelet, and some stud earrings can go a long way.
While mixing metals is on trend and can look super fashionable, for the basics, it’s best to pick either gold or silver. When you’re jewelry always matches and it complimentary to your skin tone, you’re sure to look super chic with minimal effort.
Shop My Favorites
5. Get your Favorite Clothes Tailored
Having a piece altered is an investment that is much worth the while. If you’re anything like me, you have a few pieces of clothes that you absolutely love and can really quickly make a super-cute outfit with. If these pieces don’t already fit perfectly, it might be worth spending the extra money to make sure they are absolutely perfect.
6. Have a Go-To “Bad Hair Day” Look
You wake up, look in the mirror, and realize your hair is an absolute disaster. What do you do now?! You can either fuss with it and end up leaving the house with a questionable do, or have a plan. It may seem a little extra, but having a plan for the days when your hair just won’t cooperate can save you a lot of grief. Practice some different styles like braids, buns, and hats so you have 1 or 2 go to bad hair day styles.
7. Take Care of Your Clothes
Put-together women always look like they’re wearing brand new clothes. This is because they take care of their stuff! Not to mention, taking care of your clothes can really save you money in the long run. You’d be surprised how long a good item of clothing can last if properly taken care of. Here’s a few ideas to keep your clothes looking fresh:
- Keep your clothes wrinkle free: Once you’ve ironed your clothes, keep them wrinkle free with downy wrinkle release spray. It is seriously a lifesaver and can remove wrinkles without a steamer or iron. The best part is it comes in a travel size you can carry everywhere.
- Wash your shoes: If it’s safe to do so, throw your shoes in the wash with the rest of your clothes. Otherwise, hand wash them. This is why so many people invest in washable shoes! My personal favorites are Rothy’s.
- De-fuzz your clothes: If you don’t have a fabric shaver yet, you need to get one. You know those little pills that show up on clothing over time? This shaves them right off! It has seriously saved some of my older clothing items.
- Follow care instructions: this one seems like a given, but take the time to read the tags on your clothes and follow instructions. Trust me, your jeans will fit a lot better if you hang dry them, and you can get a lot more life out of your leggings if you wash them separately from cotton.
Shop My Favorites
8. Carry a Stain Remover
There’s nothing worse than spilling on your clothes part of the way through the day. Save yourself from looking like a mess (and a potential permanent stain) by always carrying a stain remover stick. Plus, if your friends or family don’t carry stain remover sticks, you can swoop in and save the day.
9. Invest in the Right Stuff
High quality shoes, bags, jewelry and denim go a long way. It’s usually these items where splurging a bit can go a long way. For example, an expensive pair of jeans goes a lot further than an expensive top in many cases. By spending money in the right places and saving in others, you’ll have extra cash to buy things like tops and accessories that add variety to your wardrobe.
These investment pieces can be different for everyone, though. What clothing items do you wear over and over again? When it comes to your wardrobe basics, it’s a good idea to invest in something that won’t lose its shape or quality after just a few washes and wears.
10. Shop from Brands you Trust
Have you ever bought clothing from a new store and fell out of love with it the first time you wore it?
For instance, I get almost all of my denim from Madewell. I find that they fit me perfectly 99% of the time and last a super long time. This is great for two reasons. I can online shop without fear for what’s going to show up, and I can build a wardrobe full of things I love without having to go back to the drawing board each time I’m shopping for a new piece.
This obviously won’t happen overnight, but pay attention to where the things you love are from, and shop those same brands. Another added benefit of this is that by buying many pieces from the same brand can help you create a consistent personal style.
11. Last but Not Least, be Confidently Yourself!
Let’s face it, no one actually has it all together. But the most polished women I know all have one thing in common— they know their personal style and stick to it. That’s not to say you can’t have variety in your wardrobe or try new things— of course you can! But to look put-together, it’s important to pay attention to and embrace the elements of your style that make you feel most like yourself. Never put too much stake in recreating outfits from the internet and buying from brands that influencers swear by. Find what works for you. & own it. Because if you always show up authentically yourself, and embrace your style, you are certain to look put-together and polished. ✨
Don’t forget to share on social using the image below!